A Standardized Patient (SP) is an actor who authentically portrays a character for
the benefit of training healthcare students in empathy and communication. This position will
provide sporadic hours for the SP. Some weeks may have more hours than others. SPs can
expect 5 – 20 hours per month. As our program grows the amount of hours will grow but it
does depend on our contracts with institutions. Our high times are Sept-Nov and Feb-April.
Summer and winter are our low times. SP’s have the right to refuse any hours but once they
have confirmed hours they are expected to attend. Last minute cancellations can result in the
termination of the contract with Avkin.
What is the purpose of this role?
As an SP, you will be allowing the healthcare student to interact with diverse people of culture,
affliction, and temperament. You will be given different character descriptions (roles) to
perform for simulations. At the end of simulations, you will provide feedback to the healthcare
Responsibilities of the position:
● To perform (improv conversation) on zoom for different healthcare students
● Professional Engagement: You will need to be in close communication with the SP
Coordinator to ensure your schedule is up to date and accurate.
● Knowledge of character that has been assigned for simulation.
● Professional communication with healthcare learners and faculty members from
● Knowledge on feedback after simulation, training will be provided.
Pay: 20$ an hour includes training, simulation hours, and any last-minute cancellations from
More information can be found in our policy and procedure manual. If interested this
document can be provided.